Thursday 2 April 2015

Why climate change bothers me?

It’s not that the end is scary. Maybe cowards die a 1000 deaths…maybe because of my paranoia…due to being born after 3 miscarriages which my mother had..as if I spent 9 months in a womb tomb where my three unborn siblings had perished before me…my mother’s fears whether this one will survive or not and see the light of day?... surely must have got transmitted to me and gotten ingrained into my dna…..the existential question to be or not to be…as expounded by the great cult hero…my all time legend and hero..the one and only Dr RD Laing…author of “facts of life” where he says that the prenatal 9 months have the greatest influence on our lives…hence my constant preoccupation with endings…death…

The other is my ability to see the future…forecasting the shape of things to come…the future shock…again the other great influence on my life…Alvin Toffler….i use to have this angst in my late teens during the late 60s and early 70s…of last century…which seems to be aeons ago now…about the dehumanisation of humanity…I used to write furiously…sometimes 70 pages a night speeding away high on Dexedrine and grass…the trigger was my sense of being schizoid because my father had dreams that I should sit for the ias exams and become a bureaucrat..not only him but also my uncles…but I had my own dreams…I loved my reading…writing…stoning…thinking…research….i could see clearly that the path humanity was taking was leading us towards dehumanisation…everyone was bent on being someone which would appear great in the eyes of society…bent on becoming richer…more powerful…society was living within layers of cocoons of deceit…false vanity…ego of being someone…anything but themselves…everything was one big lie…

The world being created around was consciously made to reflect those make belief caricatures they imagined they were…hence society designed monsters in spheres…to mimic their vanity…like outlandish cars…dresses…houses…along with all the high energy guzzling lifestyles….neon lights… cars…air conditioning….jet travel…5 star hotels and living….all this was a sure recipe for disaster I could clearly see…but my ideas and thoughts and writings were deemed mad even by my parents…but that did not deter me from pursuing my beliefs…hence I chose research as a calling and means of livelihood…

Society went on its course of aggrandizement remorselessly…corporate structures…economies…went deeper into debt and tried to out vie each other…hyper competition was  rearing its ugly gorgon medusa head…threatening to destroy everything…then came the epic crashes of enron and world com…my cries fell on deaf ears…a voice in the wilderness…

I had no qualms about the end towards which we were hurtling…in fact my anthem from the 70s was…hurtling towards 2001 and beyond….this was going be one more cycle of extinction…there were five earlier…but our problem is that we humans are domesticated family species…the animal kingdom…never had families…hence for them to face extinction was bit easier….already due to our selfish ways…and anthropogenic traits…we are responsible for so many species dying out…so our turn will come one day…either due to the robotic frankensteins we have created which will snuff us out one day in the age of singularity like in 2001 a space odyssey….or the climate which again we have destroyed with our senseless high energy carbon emitting lifestyles….in either case we are doomed…


But what hurts me is the mangled future we are bequeathing to our children and grandchildren….i can see so very clearly the surreal desolate landscape of 2030….2050…2070…my daughter would be 70 by 2050 and my granddaughter 55 by 2070….indeed an extremely sci-cli-fi surreal scenario…which is too frightening to behold…a lump in my throat because we are leaving behind our blood and flesh to face the unreal future….there is no escape… we are deep into the madness…  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swami Sarvapriyanda

https://youtu.be/Fi-XTOIxSPo